Home Forums Banned Cards Doubling Season?

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  MistahBoweh 1 year ago.

• Author

Dapperghast
    Community Member

So I’m still building my first decks and probably have no idea what I’m talking about, but shouldn’t this card be on the banlist? It the classic “degenerate planeswalker combo” card. Maybe the format is too fast for it at the moment, but I feel like it could become a problem if the format slows down.

MistahBoweh
    Community Member

You can play The Elderspell in your command zone. The kind of power level the format has is a bit higher than Doubling Season.

Dapperghast
    Community Member

The Elderspell requires setup and buffs one of your boys (Granted you can cast it multiple times but it takes BB each time plus whatever additional cost). Doubling Season lets you cast Samut from the command zone, immediately ult into Chandra Nalaar and Bold Pyromancer and deal 20 damage to your opponents face.

Again, the singleton format might make it too janky (Although I’d try gamble as a sigspell and then load up on mana ramp and regrowth effects in case you discard it), and I’m still far too new to make any bold claims, I’m mostly just surprised it wasn’t even mentioned, like even an FAQ entry that’s like “Yes we obviously tested DS in our Planeswalker focused format you egg.”

MistahBoweh
      Community Member

Casting doubling season before your oathbreaker is setup. Casting your oathbreaker and then the elderspell is also setup, but costs less mana in total, is easier to do at once, is removal on top of a win condition, can sit in your command zone, and doesn’t lock you out from casting your ob beforehand.

Elderspell wants other walkers in play to be a win condition, usually two. But this is a multiplayer, planeswalker-centric format. I’ve played a lot of games with and against the elderspell and it always seems to find a way.

In fact, I’d argue that deepglow skate is better than doubling season for Oathbreaker. It’s easier to tutor for, is a flying body on its own, and because you cast it after your oathbreaker and not before, you can actually go off with the ob already in play, and have access to your sig spell, which might tutor, or blink skate for even more options.

I don’t disagree that doubling season is a strong card, but as someone who plays on the spikier end of the spectrum, it’s not amazing.

Login so you can join the discussion! Login Register