Home Forums Deck Talk Nicol Bolas, Dragon – God // Deliver Unto Evil : Grixis Control

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Disciple of Bolas 1 year, 1 month ago.

• Author

Disciple of Bolas
    Community Member

Hi Oathbreakers,

I wanted to share my Nicol Bolas, Dragon-God oathbreaker deck that I’ve been playing for the past month now.

Ever since I learned about Oathbreaker in early April, I’ve been fascinated and hooked on this format. I quickly introduced several of my LGS regulars to it & we now have the whole store going wild. That being said, I have been able to get plenty of Oathbreaker games in over the last 1.5 months. I have won a total of 36 games with it, and taken 5 losses. Below I have included the link to my multiplayer Oathbreaker deck. Comments & criticisms are welcome.

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/1946809#paper

THE DECK: I love Bolas & started the deck off with the signature spell being The Elderspell. I quickly realized that this made me a target & I got tired of playing archenemy against the board (Although this was a flavor win). I then changed my signature spell to Deliver Unto Evil for value & flavor. I have come to the conclusion that it was the right move to make.

– Deliver is much less threatening to a table & doesn’t get you targeted as much.
    – Deliver is great in a control deck since it allows you to recur  board wipes, draw/filter spells & counters.
    – Deliver is relatively low CMC & can reasonably be cast 2-3 times in a game.

First, I want to take a moment to address some of the decks WEAKNESSES before I move into its other components.

MANA BASE: The Colors  and CMC of Bolas, Dragon-God is not very friendly, so we have to run tons of non basic lands to consistently cast him & play our spells on curve. This means we take BIG damage from any deck running Price of Progress as its signature spell. Additionally, strip mine, ghost quarter & Blood Moon effects are among our greatest enemies.

LIFE GAIN: Another drawback to our mana base is fetch & shock lands. In a faster paced, multiplayer format where you start at 20 life, these can REALLY hurt us. With Tezzeret, Master of the Bridge being our only source of life gain in the deck currently, we have to be very careful with how we manage it. (Open for suggestions).

CONTROL DECKS: Finally, I want to address other control decks. Since this deck is designed to deal with many opponents creatures, it can become problematic for us to play against counter heavy control decks. I only main deck 2 counter spells in Mana Drain & Countersquall.

Now lets talk about the STRENGTHS & general strategy of the deck:

BOARD CONTROL: This deck has many, many removal options. Since we are playing against 3 other players, I wanted to include as many sweepers/sacrifice effects, while also maintaining a relatively reasonable CMC. Additionally, these spells are recoverable with our Signature Spell, therefore it is not overly difficult to keep the board clear of threats.

TUTORS: I wanted to deck to include several tutors, and have opted to go with Spellseeker for creature based value that lets us find 14% of our deck. Additionally, I run Demonic tutor & Liliana Vess, who has the ability to let us tutor multiple times.

MANA ROCKS: I run all of the Grixis colored signets, both talismans within Grixis colors & Chromatic Lantern for awesome mana fixing.

PLANESWALKERS: This deck has some planeswalker bombs that take over the game once they resolve. The trick is surviving long enough to get to that point since they all are on the higher end of our mana curve. Nicol Bolas, Planeswalker & Nicol Bolas, God Pharaoh are in the deck for flavor, plus they can win the game outright if not dealt with.

PRIMARY WIN CONS: Deepglow skate & The Elderspell are the easiest way to win games. Try and utilize the deck’s sweepers & board wipes to get the Dragon God out on the field as quickly as possible. Once Bolas can stick, gain card advantage with his abilities while continuing to control board presence until you can dig for either Deepglow Skate or Elderspell.

I play Grixis in almost every format, and wasn’t about to pass up the opportunity to make a deck centered around the Dragon-God. I really have been enjoying this deck plus the Oathbreaker format as a whole. Since its inception, I have only played 41 games with this deck and I am continuing to catalog my wins/losses in an attempt to increase its consistency. That being said, this is still very much a work in progress & feedback is welcome, so please let me know you thoughts & feel free to ask questions!

~Disciple of Bolas

Disciple of Bolas

Spellman
    Oathmaster

Love it! Impressive win record. What have you been facing locally? 1v1 or 3 or 4 players?

Disciple of Bolas
      Community Member

Thank you!

Initially, it was a lot of 1 v 1 games. But now that the format is really picking up, I’ve played in several multiplayer groups & tournaments.

My losses are:

– Chandra, Torch of Defiance // Price of Progress

I straight up got hated out of the game via the SS & the many burn spells this deck ran. It was fast, brutal AND very much Red Deck Wins.

– Nissa, Who shakes the world // Crop Rotation (Gaea’s Cradle/Elves)

Another explosive ago deck I played against, which was capable of ramping Nissa out turn 3 & proceeding to crop rotation for Gaea’s cradle. Some crazy elf-ball shenanigans proceeded the following turn and they killed the whole table with Ezuri, Crater Hoof & a bunch of +17/17 elves.

– Saheeli, Sublime Artificer // Thought-cast

An artifact themed, affinity style combo/control deck. It also ran the Kiki-Jiki/Pestermite, Deciever Exarch/Splinter Twin infinite combos.

Teferi, Time Raveler // Dovin’s Veto (U/W Control)

Straight up Blue/White Control. They had more counters than I could even keep up with. Also, Dovin’s Veto is dirty as a SS lol.

Narset, Parter of the Veils // Day’s Undoing

Another control/combo deck that ran a ton of counters. Got Narset out ASAP and proceeded to cast day’s undoing/counter everything meaningful the opposition did.

Disciple of Bolas

Login so you can join the discussion! Login Register