Home Forums Article Talk ‘Spider-Man,’ ‘F9,’ ‘Dune’ And The 12 Biggest Box Office Hits Of 2021

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  miniming 2 weeks, 2 days ago.

• Author

miniming
    Community Member

‘Spider-Man,’ ‘F9,’ ‘Dune’ And The 12 Biggest Box Office Hits Of 2021

Presuming every scheduled 2021 theatrical offering hits its release date, here are my predictions for the biggest Hollywood hit for each of the next twelve months.

As I’ve done for every year since 2015, I’m celebrating the new year by doing an estimated guestimate as to what films will be the biggest, in terms of global grosses, for each month of the year. Needless to say, the version of this I did for 2020 didn’t exactly age well. Sonic the Hedgehog overperformed, Birds of Prey underperformed and, oh yeah, the entire theatrical industry came to standstill as a global pandemic swept the world.

A sizable number of top-tier theatrical releases moved from 2020 to 2021, to the point where some of this 2021 preview will be essentially a repeat of the 2020 that wasn’t. Covid-19 is still very much a factor and it’s possible that this year’s month-by-month rundown will be just as, well, “wrong,” but let’s be optimistic, shall we?

Oh, and this will be specifically Hollywood releases, even as I expect Chinese biggies like Detective Chinatown 3 (February 12, 2021) to rule until Hollywood gets back into the swing of things. And without further ado…

The Marksman (January 15, 2021)

This is the second Open Road-released Liam Neeson actioner to open theatrically just since theaters reopened. Honest Thief earned just $13 million domestic (from a $4 million opening), which is about what the likes of A Walk Among the Tombstones, Run All Night, The Commuter and Cold Pursuit earned in their opening weekends. The Marksman stars Neeson as a former marine working as a rancher along the Arizona-Mexican border who ends up protecting a young immigrant child from cartel baddies. With The 355 moved to January of 2021 and Denzel Washington’s The Little Things (starring Washington as a cop hunting a serial killer) doing the theater/HBO Max split thing, The Marksman may be this month’s biggest theatrical movie by default. Absent the HBO Max factor, I’d never bet against a Denzel Washington thriller.

Read More : pg

Login so you can join the discussion! Login Register