Home Forums Rules Questions Unclear rules and a suggestion

This topic contains 7 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Spellman 10 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Author

HeroineDark
    Community Member

Couple of rules coming up in my play group

1) Like in the case of pyrokinesis or force of will…and other potential signature spells with alternative casting costs. To recast the spell do you pay just alternative cost or alt cost plus tax?

2) do signature spells hit the graveyard after cast/resolve (applicable to the amonkhet split cards, where the second half is “from the graveyard” specific) or do they always rezone to the command zone? And if they hit the yard, can you rezone after using the aftermath ability?

3) (more of a suggestion than rule) have y’all considered allowing a “splash” on the signature spell to open up all 3 color possibilities as the current limitations are bant, temur, grixis, jund, and esper? And of those 5, only 1 has multiple walkers to choose from…and those multiples are just variants of the same one.

Thanks

Weirdcards.org
    Community Member

1. & 2. )

906.11 A player may cast a Signature Spell they own from the command zone as long as the associated Oathbreaker is on the battlefield and under that player’s control. A Signature Spell cast from the command zone costs an additional {2} for each previous time the player casting it has cast it from the command zone that game.
    906.12 If a Signature Spell would be exiled from anywhere or put into its owner’s hand, graveyard, or library from anywhere, its owner must put it into the command zone instead. This replacement effect may apply more than once to the same event.
    906.12a If a Signature Spell would somehow go anywhere but the command zone or the stack, it instead goes to the command zone. This takes precedence over other replacement effects such as buyback.

3.) No, but you could house rule it, or Urza house rule it.

Dorotheus
    Community Member

I have no issue with there being no 4 or 5 color walker, it doesn’t bother me from a balance perspective. It is unfortunate that not all 3 color combinations are represented yet, especially Naya considering Ajani and Huatli.

As a recommendation for house-rule. There could be a 3 or 4 loyalty placeholder walker for the other shard/wedges that is one symbol per color to cast and just has +1: Draw a card. -2: Create a 1/1 colorless citizen token. This is just a recommendation if you would like to try a 3 color walker not represented in your group.

Spellman
    Oathmaster

Did the rules make sense to you, Heroine?

The tldr answer:
    1) You calculate CMC + command zone tax – any cost reducing effects.

2) They never exist anywhere that isn’t the stack or the command zone — not even for an instant.

3) I am intrigued at house ruling this idea. I’m really hoping for more 3 color commanders to expand the format possibilities.

Spyderbyte
    Community Member

What is the ruling on the new eldraine adventure spells? Can they be used as signature spells.

Spellman
      Oathmaster

They cannot. The card is a creature card.

Dude3210
    Community Member

would the adventure on fae of wishes even work with the rule about cards outside of the game?

Spellman
      Oathmaster

You’d need to have your playgroup decide what outside the game means. In general, it wouldn’t do anything unless your playgroup decides to use Sideboards or to allow “Outside the Game” to mean literally any card you own that’s not in your deck.

Login so you can join the discussion! Login Register